So Office365 has finally arrived. My thoughts on this launch:
1) It’s a very important launch for Microsoft . But its not a question of life and death . Microsoft is not dependent on any one product for its survival.
2) This is not a revolutionary offering. I will call it evolutionary as it mostly has new releases of the Microsoft Exchange, Sharepoint and Lync offering.
3) I like the fact that Microsoft has a few bundles for different segments. The Small Business bundle is really good and attractively priced .
4) A killer app could be ability to have one on one audio and video conference with anyone in your company irrespective of the location of the person. This feature was not available in earlier BPOS .
5) I also like the fact that there are now multiple admin roles . This can help Service Providers to provide managed services
6) Sharepoint becomes a lot more powerful.
7) What I don’t like is that if a Company wants high end features of Sharepoint , they are forced to opt for a plan E2 or E3 which have Office Webapps or Office bundled. What if they already have MS Office On Premise? I would prefer if Microsoft keeps Webapps and Office as an addon to any subscription.
You will find more information on Office365 in my earlier blogs
To know more about Office365, click here
Have a Great Day !
Microsoft MVP 2009