Let me state up front that this blog entry is not about technology . And I apologize for it. I have lived all my life in Mumbai city . The last week was among the worst days of my life. It ranks among the Top 2 Worse events with the other being the riots of 1993. It was extremely frustrating to see my beloved city under attack from a bunch of terrorists !
So why the attack? Why Mumbai ? What next ? What lies in future ? There are so many questions which beg an answer. Over the week end I have pondered over these questions again and again. Some of my observations are:
Objectives of the Attack
- One objective of the attack was to derail the India Story . In last few years , India has shown great progress. The Economy has been growing at the rate of 10% p.a. Indian Companies have been buying Foreign brands . So this attack was to derail the India Story.
- Another objective was to create a divide between different Communities . This will create tensions and aid in derailing the India Growth Story.
- Create fear psychosis was another objective. The terrorists want people to stay indoors, not go out to Restaurants and Malls, spend less . All this will lead to less Growth.
- Mumbai is the Financial Hub of India. When you hit Mumbai, you hit the Financial Epicenter of India.
- The citizen of Mumbai should not get divided on lines of Religion. Over last couple of days I have heard many people talk to cleaning up the city of people of particular Community . That would be playing into the hands of the enemies of the Nation. Accepted that the Terrorists were from particular Community. But they were not selective when they killed . No one was spared .
- People should go out to Malls , Cinemas , restaurants . That would be a fitting reply to the Terrorists. It will tell them that we will not be cowed down.
- Ask questions . Ask our elected representatives to give us time bound Action Plan on what they intend to do about our Security. Let them stop Bulls**** us.
- Many people are saying we should attack Pakistan. A war will be a disaster for everyone . Get clinching evidence and show it to the World.
- Send undercover agents to the Terror Camps . Infiltrate them . Blow them up . If World asks questions , feign ignorance .
- Step up Intelligence . Spend lots of money on Intelligence Gathering and assimilation.
- Setup a Federal Agency with single point of Command to fight Terrorists . Avoid multiple agencies as there is no accountability . State level NSG Commando Teams answerable to the Central HO is a good idea. Their agenda is to fight Terror. Being a bodyguard for politicians should not be their job. Let someone else do it . Let politicians not get the best guys so that they understand what FEAR is.
- Focus more on execution of plans and hold people responsible for them .
- When any person comes to stay in the neighborhood, ensure adequate screening . This should be done by you and me and we should not depend on Police for this.
- Be ready for sacrifice in terms of additional screening and certain loss of privacy . A small loss of freedom is much better than loss of life.
These are some of my random thoughts . The key is to think in a rationale way and not think emotionally . Its difficult to be logical in times like these. But we have to be careful or else we will be playing into the hands of the enemies of INDIA .